The founder’s son, Henry Doulton, who joined the company in 1835, brought in a young artist named George Tinworth, whom he charged with establishing an art pottery studio at the Lambeth factory in 1867.
By the mid-1880s, Tinworth’s studio employed 300 artists to make ornamental vases and decorative figurines from stoneware or terracotta.
By bestowing this royal honor upon the company, King Edward was also giving them the right to be called For almost two centuries Doulton has produced a wide array of different products, often causing confusion among collectors.
The company has used numerous backstamps, marks and logos over the years.
Royal Doulton Bunnykins has been in continuous production since 1934.Ã‚Â The range includes tableware, nursery ware, teapots, moneyboxes and figures.
The Queen liked the pieces so much that in 1887 she knighted Henry Doulton for his contributions to England's ceramic art.
Fourteen years later, King Edward the VII issued a Royal Warrant to the Doulton factory.
Royal Doulton got its start in 1815 as Doulton Pottery, an industrial stoneware company in Lambeth, England, that made ale and porter bottles, covered jars, and garden vases, as well as outdoor statues and fountains.
When John Doulton partnered with John Watts in 1820 and changed the name to Doulton & Watts, the company added utilitarian housewares and alcohol flasks, as well as busts and heads of popular characters, whistles with dog heads, and banks shaped like houses.