Most probably the mark was applied at the time of decoration when each piece would have been handled individually to apply the painted or transfer printed pattern. The well recognised ‘standard’ Doulton mark or backstamp is that including the ‘lion, crown and roundel’ introduced in 1901 and used in various forms to the 1990s.
From 1901 to 1922 the standard mark appears with the words ‘Royal Doulton’ and ‘England’.
The business originally specialised in manufacturing stoneware and produced decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes.
It was in 1853 that the company took the name Doulton.
One of the jobs of the Club is to help you identify and date unusual items and find out other relevant information by referring to the Royal Doulton archives.
To take advantage of all the benefits of membership write for an application form to Royal Doulton International Collectors' Club at U. Branch, Minton House, London Road, Stoke-on-Trent, ST4 7QD, Telephone (0782) 744766 or to the appropriate address shown below.
This unique gallery, at the Doulton Fine China Nile Street Pottery, Burslem, traces the story of Doulton from its foundation in 1815 and includes the world famous collection of several hundred rare figures.
RA-1 is repeated twice and it should be noted that the re-setting of the number marries up with the new Doulton lion and crown mark.
It was a great success and the artists included Arthur, Florence and Hannah Barlow, Frank Butler, Mark Marshall, Eliza Simmance, and George Tinworth.
In 1882, doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire – bringing doulton right to the heart of The Potteries. because of the artistic direction of John Slater, who worked with a wide variety of figurines, vases, character jugs, and decorative pieces.
The Doulton tableware marks are below the glaze (as is the decoration in most cases).
It could thus have been applied at any time between the first, biscuit, firing of the ware and the final step of application of the glaze.